This graphic novel is about a plague that kills every man on Earth, minus one. Yorick has just graduated from college, and he’s wondering what to do with his life now that he’s all big and growed up. Before the plague hits, he’s in the process of digesting the fact that his English degree qualifies him to work at a bookstore. Yorick is proposing to his girlfriend over the phone when every man on Earth dies. Here are the possible causes of the plague:
1. The Amulet of Helene, a mystic item of great power, is shanghaied from its homeland. Every man on Earth is killed as reprisal. Source: The Book of Exodus, The Bible.
2. Dr. Mann creates a clone of herself. When she gives birth to said clone (a baby boy) it triggers a chain reaction that wipes out all men.
3. A biological weapon of mass destruction created by some government (take your pick) that is accidentally unleashed on the world. Source: The Stand.
4. Yorick is dreaming; making the entire story up (he is an English major); or hallucinating as he lies dying. Source: St. Elsewhere.
5. Yorick’s monkey is a test animal (note that it doesn’t like needles), rescued by animal rights activists from the lab where the virus was created. Because of the experiments the monkey is immune to the plague and he passes that immunity on to Yorick (probably by biting him).
6. Yorick has godlike powers. When his girlfriend dumps him over the phone (we don’t hear the end of their conversation) he kills every male on the planet in a fit of pique. Source: The Twilight Zone.
Whatever. Yorick is the last guy on Earth, and he’s got Amazons and government agents running after him. He decides to go to Australia to find his girlfriend. Joining him are Agent 355, a mysterious government agent; and Dr. Mann, the doctor who created the clone. Great start to a series; highly recommended.